As we see the kitchen being used more and more as a gathering place, we see the rising need for beautiful and yet functional kitchen islands. To design your kitchen island can be a bit daunting and yet so incredibly rewarding when done correctly.
Here at Kloter Farms, we generally follow these 5 simple steps to create the ideal kitchen island for you.
1. Measure your Space
While there is no set rule about how much space you need to have around your island, there are a couple of rules of thumb to consider.
Check out this great article from Houzz for some dimensions to keep in mind.
2. Choose your Style
With so many options to choose from to make this island your own, it’s really hard to say that we have specific styles to choose from, but we’ve spent some time procuring some options that give you a great place to get started.
Raised Panel Island Base by Kloter Farms (tops determined separately)
Jefferson City Island Base by Kloter Farms (top to be determined separately)
Camden Island Base by Kloter Farms (top to be determined separately)
Brookline Island Base by Kloter Farms (top to be determined separately)
Recessed Panel Base by Kloter Farms (tops determined separately)
3. Choose your Size
Once you have determined the style of an island that you love, now we get to put those measurements that you took in your kitchen at home to work. Speaking in general terms, our islands typically come in fairly standard sizes but again can be customized to fit most any location.
Depth- The most common depth that we use for islands is 24″ (measurement does not account for any overhang on your countertop).
For extremely small spaces or if you plan to use your island more as a server, we can drop that measurement to 18″ if necessary.
Width- This can more easily be broken down as:
- Small- 32″-33″
- Medium- 47″-48″
- Large- 62″-63″
4. Choose your Layout Options
Here comes the fun part- making it your own. Up to this point, it’s been all about logistical items, and now you get to pick your finish and personalize the space. (click here to see some of the different finish options available)
Think of your base size now in relation to compartments.
- Small- two compartments
- Medium- three compartments
- Large- four compartments
Each compartment can be defined by its use. There are so many options, sometimes it gets difficult to decide which options work best for you. Here is a quick breakdown of each compartment option
- Cupboard with shelves– This option comes standard with stationery shelves, but can be upgraded quickly to incorporate roll-out shelves (which I highly recommend for convenience).
Kitchen Island with Roll-out Shelves by Kloter Farms
2. Drawers– Who can’t use three extra drawers in their kitchen?
Kitchen Island with Drawer Compartment by Kloter Farms
3. Open Shelves– Convenient for all of you home cooks who enjoy using or collecting cookbooks or other items that you wish to display.
You have a couple of options to choose from depending on how much space you need.
Kitchen Island with Bookcase End option by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Open Shelf Compartment by Kloter Farms
4. 3 Tier Pull-out– Super handy for all of the spice bottles and containers that tend to just float around in cabinets and drawers.
Kitchen Island with 3-Tier Pull-out Compartment by Kloter Farms
5. Wine Rack- A perfect place to keep those bottles handy in case of an unexpected company or a recipe that calls for a splash of wine.
Choose whether you want a single or double rack.
Kitchen Island with Double Wine Rack by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Single Wine Rack by Kloter Farms
6. Mixer lift– perfect for all of you home bakers out there. This unit is designed to have your stand mixer attached to it and swings out of the island with the greatest of ease. It safely locks into place just below the level of the counter top giving you more freedom of counter space. When you’re finished with your mixing, simply release the lift mechanism and the mixer slides back into the island.
Kitchen Island with Mixer Pull-out by Kloter Farms
5. Choose your Top
The final step to the process of designing your new kitchen island is to choose your favorite top. Here at Kloter Farms, we offer a myriad of options. From granite choices to butcher blocks to hand-planed and distressed hardwoods, we have an option that’s sure to fit anyone’s space.
2″ Thick Appearance Kitchen Island Top by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Granite Top by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Butcher Block Top by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with 3″ Butcher Block Top by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Rough Sawn top by Kloter Farms
Kitchen Island with Slate Tile Top by Kloter Farms
As you can see, designing your own island can be a bit complicated but it is truly rewarding when you have all the space that you need for friends and family to gather around you in your kitchen.
Check out this link for more Island Ideas.